I am a youth pastor and a car guy I love God and my wife and 2 rad sons.

Monday, April 20, 2009

service with a smile!

I take Monday s off. And my son, PDub goes to preschool Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 9-12. This means my wife and I have a truly awesome morning that we tend to spend in some sort of date mode. Although it is not always the most romantic, we tend to eat breakfast out together (you can get a great breakfast here, eggs bacon toast sausage hash browns for 2.99). Then we run errands and leisurely make our way back to the school to pick PW up in or around noon. For those of you who know me, you know that I have the attention of a...what was I saying? As a result of this, I like to try new restaurants as opposed to finding a good one and sticking with it. So today we tried the restaurant attached to a Shell station on the Trans Canada Highway just outside of Portage. We walked in and found a waitress whose name surely must have been Spaz. She was completely friendly but utterly unaware of where she was, who you were, what you had ordered, if you had ordered, was she wearing pants, is there such a thing as pants, who put this restaurant here anyway, why am I here and why am I holding bacon. All of these things were very forgivable because of the mood of our morning which was lazy and easy does it very pleasant. So I opened the menu and ordered the Great big eat. This came with 3 eggs, 2 pieces of toast, hash browns, 4 pieces of your choice of meat and a coffee. All for 6.99. I ordered it eggs over easy, 2 sausages, 2 bacon, hash browns extra crispy and white toast. What I received was 2 eggs 2 slices of bacon, 1 sausage, brown toast and a cup of coffee. At this point something that was taught to me by Darrell Ulriksen (not actually spoken but absorbed) rang in my ears. Really, how much do you care? I like brown toast I was not incredibly hungry and I still had my cup of coffee. So I quite happily ate the food and considered myself lucky that Spaz had got my food to me at all. When Mandy and I had both finished our meal. Mandy went out to sit in the car and I went to pay the bill. I did, however, care about paying for food I had not received. I had received, instead of the Great big eat, the big eat. So when I went to the front counter to pay, I pointed out that I had received the Big eat instead of the great big eat. To which Spaz looked at me, bewildered, and said “I know, that’s what I got for you”. To which I had replied that I had ordered to great big eat. She looked at me dead cold in the face and said “The Great Big Eat is 6.99. Yours was 4.99. The Great big eat was too expensive”. I thanked her, shook her hand, kissed a baby and walked out. Mmmmmmmmmmm small town.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pants since 1986 said...

small towns are just a world of their own, aren't they.

6:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home