I am a youth pastor and a car guy I love God and my wife and 2 rad sons.

Sunday, March 01, 2009

my brain is smoking

I sometimes wonder if this blog should go a different direction. I have often thought that most people’s blogs do not get read because the authors fill them with things they think will change how people think about God, religion, politics or whatever else they value. This could work. It could change how people think. It might give people a new way of thinking or a new idea that leads them down a path that might just create life change. It happened to me. My attitudes towards recycling were changed because of a blog entry that connected some dots for me. It got me thinking about Gods commands in a different way and as such my attitude changed. It could happen. Here is what I am worried about. Most often I find that blogs are written by people who seem to take themselves far too seriously. The entries come across to me as condescending. I remember a guy who had a blog that he updated very regularly. He was a believer and a person who had some influence over a certain demographic. His blog was full of these pearls of wisdom he had thought up and he seemed confident that his blog was the best place to present them. The problem was, he was condescending sounding enough in his entries that people stopped reading them. He lost influence because of a poorly worded idea. His blog became meaningless because no one would read it. It was considered arrogant.
The people who have influenced me to read there blogs are people who have either credibility in my life, or are known for their wisdom AND character. So here is my question. Does my blog reflect what it needs to at this point in my life? I guess this is a question of who is reading the blog. Are they people who would want to hear deeper things from me but would not talk to me? I don’t think so but you never know. Are they people who are just glad to hear the snapshots of my life and do not desire to enter into the deeper parts of me in this forum? My guess is that this one is the most probable. The bigger question is am I willing to put the energy into a blog that I might not like anymore. Would it just become a blog that is full of ramblings, no one cares about? Would I start to take myself too seriously? Maybe this blog need to stay the way it is. Aaaaaaaah, whatever.

8 Comments:

Blogger Papa Scott said...

I read everything you post. If it rambles one day I wish I was there to have the same fun you were having. If you share some pearl of wisdom then I am usually better off because of it.

Why worry about what you write. write what you need not what you readers want.

Would you be a youth pastor in a different way just because you thought the church wanted someone other than you? That wouldn't be right for you or them.

gasten

9:53 PM

 
Blogger Darrell Sarafinchan said...

your blog is perfect as it is... however I do request one change... post more often.

11:41 PM

 
Blogger Monty P said...

Scott speaks well. A blog should reflect the author (and I bet the arrogant one you refer to did). So that means that yours will have both serious and fun stuff, probably weighted more heavily to fun stuff (not because you're never serious, but because you've always got that fun perspective on life.)

Blog on.

9:12 AM

 
Blogger Pants since 1986 said...

Scott said it best. I concur.

7:43 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I Always read your blog - and like it - even if it is shocking to a momma's eyes sometimes

9:28 AM

 
Blogger something witty said...

i just figured out who Anonymous is!

1:28 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

not always Peter... sometimes I post as Anonymous too... not just momma...

9:49 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how do you know that I am the momma?????

7:28 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home